Saturday 10 April 2010

Sprouting

I bought a mixed bag of seeds from one of the health food stores here in Bristol, but I found the sprouts to be too tough (it included ones like chickpeas). So, I tried a pre-sprouted bag of alfalfa and radish sprouts. I can now say with certainty that I am not a fan of radish sprouts >_<

But I wasn't going to give up on sprouting just yet. At the bulk store, I grabbed myself a small bag of organic alfalfa seeds. And voila! 6 days later I had wonderful, tender, CHEAP sprouts! This glass is on day 4 - sunlight day. It's amazing just how quickly green appeared. This was about 2 Tbsp of seeds and it made a LOT of sprouts.

On day 6 I rinsed out the hulls with my salad spinner and placed the still slightly damp seeds on a cookie tray to dry out overnight, then popped them in the fridge the next day. I think this is a good amount for one person for the 5-6 days it takes to create another batch. I usually eat them with my salads.

To sprout or not to sprout: what do you do? What are your favourite kinds?

1 comment:

  1. My husband and I have yet to sprout something without it fermenting... I don't think we do it correctly (obviously). I suspect we soak them too long. Got a "cook" book with a section on sprouting so maybe that will help. Alfalfa sprouts are my favorite with salads. I want to try garbonzo beans so I can make hummus... We'll see :)

    ReplyDelete