Friday 12 March 2010

A New Start

Hello folks, and welcome to my new blog. Why did I decide to make another blog about being raw, when there are already a million others out there? Mainly to help keep myself on track, and also to share with you how I'm managing raw on a bit of a budget.

Background info:
A year ago I was living in Toronto, doing a 9-5 for a television production company. I'd been vegetarian for over four years, but decided that it wasn't enough. I was going to become vegan. After a while on the forums I started to hear things about raw food. I didn't know what that meant, and the more I researched, the more I got excited. In the summer of 2009 I tried to go high raw - and it worked for a while - but then the evils of cooked food (mainly bread) lured me back to my old ways.

Fast forward to 2010. I'm in the middle of my MA at the University of Bristol in the UK, so once again I'm a poor student. After a few months on the course I started to notice some weight gain, tiredness, and a general overall lack of energy. I knew how good I felt when I was high raw, so I decided that I would give it another go. However, there seems to be a few obstacles on my road to raw: mainly my limited budget, having to find new suppliers for those things I loved back home, and being tempted while out with friends.

I don't have a dehydrator. I don't have a Vita-Mix. And I don't have an unlimited budget.

What I do have is the infinite resource that is the internet, the support network of blogs and forums, and a real enthusiasm to make this work. I've just ordered a blender (only 700W, but it will do for now), I have a small food processor, cutting board, knife, and a regular old peeler.

I'll be posting photos of what I've been making, problems that I'm encountering (like finding good raw food sources in Bristol!), and hopefully be a resource for those of you who find yourselves on a budget, whether student or otherwise.

Peace,
Kx

3 comments:

  1. yay! good for you! i'm looking forward to following your blog :))

    -Sarahfae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Didn't realise/know you'd gone full raw. Raw has benefits, both in photography and in food. Will try and help (or not tempt with delicious cooked food) as much as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your blog through Addicted to Veggies. I've been thinking about having a raw food day once a week and I've been looking for simple easy recipes to try (without dehydrators and impossible to find ingredients) so I think I'll be watching your blog for a bit. The zucchini pasta with marinara sauce looks like a good starting point :)

    ReplyDelete